Monday, September 5, 2011

Why I am here

First and foremost, I am here largely because I am 90 percent certain my job will involve politics in a very large scale. I am mulling around the idea of running for local office back home (Maryland) once I get my law degree. I have also covered local politics with the Arizona Guardian. I enjoyed it greatly, so if I do decide to stay on the journalism path, it will likely involve covering politics. I feel like it is necessary to see as many ideas and opinions of how media and politics should play with one another, simply because I know I might be on either side of the spectrum, so it will be nice to hear insight on dos and don'ts.

The media influences politics because it dictates the dialogue. The media, in a perfect system, behaves as the constant updates for the people, making sure their elected official is actually being their voice above all else. The 24 hour news cycle makes politicians accountable at all times, especially at the local level. Scrutiny can be intense, and it makes politicians have to always be on their best behavior.

However, this is in an ideal society. Often, the media can do more to help the politician pull the proverbial wool of the electorate's eyes. By ignoring potential storylines, leads or tough questions, they can allow the politician to hide behind a nice little wall, and do whatever they like while still having the voter's trust. A lack of diligent pursuit of the truth will lead to a less informed voter, which will lead to potentially electing someone who does not have their best interests at heart.

I am in this class to learn how to behave on both sides of the reporter/politician relationship.

1 comment: