Monday, October 24, 2011

Ads Ads Ads

Of the three ads presented (I'm not sure what happened with the Obama Ad, but it's pretty clearly not an Obama Ad, as stated in the video's description), I think Rick Perry's was the least effective. While Perry was clearly swinging for the fences in his ad, I think he hits a little too negative. Though we've been all to familiar through our reading of Game Change how bloody primaries can get, I don't think this one will carry hostility that is so present and divisive in Perry's ad. It's a little uncomfortable to watch it.

I actually liked Michelle Bachman's ad, but it was a little simple. It didn't wow me the way I feel like a presidential ad should. It felt more like she was running for reelection in the House or for a smaller office than president. It fairly clearly showcased her ideas and what some of her big griefs are with Obama, but it didn't do enough to make it seem like she was ready for the biggest office in the country.

I feel like Mitt Romney's ad was the most effective. Though it's more lengthy than you'd see on a T.V. spot (which goes into my idea that candidates should be focusing on the internet for ads, which I'll get into later in the post), it has a great focus and paints a tough picture while not being the gloom and doom that Perry's ad exudes. It also shows great poise and understanding of the issues at hand.

It seems almost a forgone conclusion that social media will play just as big, if not a bigger role in the 2012 election as it did in 2008. If this is the case, Twitter is incredibly savvy to begin selling out some advertising space, and how candidates use social media to connect with voters is going to be pivotal. I feel like younger voters and senior voters are already solid in their respective camps, and that the candidate that can best connect with voters aged 30-45, since these are the voters with the largest stock in the economy's success.

While T.V. advertising is still probably going to get the bulk of ad spending, it seems to be much more of a push strategy instead of a pull. When an ad is thrust at me as I am watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother, I am much less likely to be drawn to its message than if it gets shot at me from a Twitter account I follow and I have the option of clicking forward or ignoring it.

It will be exceptionally effective if a candidate can get their message to viral, somewhat like the way Obama did in 2008. We are much more likely to be interested in something if our friends are sharing it on a social media site. Obama already has a headstart with this, having his Obama for America canvassing team spread the word through Facebook through it's "I'm in" campaign. Though Obama may be hard to take down in this environment that seems so liberal friendly, the eventual GOP nominee would be making a gigantic mistake if they discount the low risk (fiscally, at least), high reward area of social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment